No matter how many police personnel are out on the street or even if you hire a security guard, your personal safety can only be guaranteed by yourself. There are always unforeseen dangers when you leave your house that may occur at any sudden moment. The best way to try and prevent getting caught in dangerous situations is to be security conscious.
Here’s how you can do just that.
1. Be informed
Stay informed of the security situation around you. This includes local and national crime. The recent attack in Sydney shows that the lone wolf terror style attacks are not going to go away soon. Canada has already been affected by them. At the same time, know what’s happening in your local area. Are a rising number of muggings or home robberies happening? If you’re living in Edmonton, Edmonton Journal is a good news site to follow to keep track of local crime.
By staying informed, you are aware of the potential risks out there.
2. Be Alert
You put the knowledge you have to use by staying alert. Being alert is all about knowing what’s happening in your immediately environment. GPS Security Guards are specifically trained in this. With a good amount of practice, you can get a hang of it too.Hone your observations skills. Whenever you enter a room or are walking on the street, keep your eyes peeled for suspicious activity.
3. Have a Plan
A little planning will help you save time when making decisions.
– Always know the best escape options for you at office.
– Have the emergency numbers on speed dial so you can make swift calls if ever the need arises.
– Know the quickest and safest routes out of your house.
– Be aware of good hiding spots in your office and house.
4. Be Simple
Avoid attracting attention. Showing off your Rolex watch or diamond jewelry in public makes you a person worth robbing. Similarly, be aware when you are using your smartphone or tablet out in the open. As much as possible, try not to paint a target on your back. The valuable things you show publicly puts you in certain risk.
5. Restrict Access Control
Whether you’re at home or the office, restricting entry into the location is one of the best ways to ensure you’re safe.
At home, you have several options.
– A keypad door: This is better than conventional door locks that can be picked.
– Sensors around other access points like the windows make you aware if any intruder is trying to break in.
– A guard dog is trained at differentiating the owners of the house and criminals.
At the office:
– A security guard restricts access of those who can enter and exit the building.
– A surveillance system further keeps an eye on other backdoor entrances to ensure no one is trying to sneak in.
You may not be as safe as you think you are. Being security conscious is just a smart move.