Does the world seem like a scary and dangerous place to you? Yes, bad things can and do happen. But, you can reduce the risk of it happening to you by taking some precautions. Although you cannot ensure complete personal safety from every danger, you can follow some personal security tips to keep away potential dangers or handle them whenever they take place.
Know Your surroundings
You do not need to know every little detail about your surroundings. But, you have to pay a bit of attention to what is happening around you. Being completely ignorant can put you in trouble. To be sure of your personal security, you need to do the following.
- Pay attention to people around you.
- Know where the public telephone booths are located.
- Do not listen to loud music using earphones while traveling alone..
- Avoid deserted areas.
- Keep an eye on your purse.
Stay safe at night
Although unfortunate things can happen in daytime, most of the criminal activities take place during the night. It is easy for someone to attack you during the darkness of the night. So, follow these personal security tips when you are out during the night.
- Have someone with you. It is always difficult to become a victim of a crime if you have someone with you. Victims are easier to get when they are alone.
- Walk on well-lit streets.
- Do not accept lifts from strangers.
- Keep the fare or pass handy when taking the public transport.
- Don’t respond to the comments by the strangers on the streets.
Keep your family posted
It is very important to let someone know where you are and what you are doing. If something goes wrong with you, there will at least be one person who will know where you were going or what you were doing and can know where to start looking for you.
- Tell a family member or friend where you are.
- Notify them about the route you took.
- Let them know who is with you.
Memorize emergency numbers
Your phone has all the desired information and contacts so you don’t want to memorize any of those numbers. But, if your phone gets stolen or you run out of battery, you need to have a plan ready.
- Apart from the emergency numbers like that of the police and fire department, you should know numbers of your family and a few friends for personal security.
- It might be tempting to call your dad whenever you are in trouble but he might be miles away and could not reach to help you in time. So, calling the right person at the right time is important.
Awareness can keep your personal safety maintained and can help you from getting into hazardous situations. These are some personal security tips for living by yourself.